01/12/2013

Book Review: Another Shot At Love (What's Love Series??) By Niecey Roy

Blurb: Imogen Gorecki has a problem—her twin sister just got engaged, and guess who’s the best man? That’s right, her scum-of-an-ex-boyfriend whom she caught cheating with a bottle-blonde, with fake breasts and a stripper’s flexibility. There’s a disturbing possibility her eyes will never recover.

Gen needs a date for the engagement party, but finding Mr. Perfect in a time crunch is proving impossible. Just when she’s about to give up, she face-plants into the crotch of the sexiest guy she’s ever met.

Matt Sesnick is everything Gen wants in a man —except he’s not interested in a relationship. Can she convince Matt to take another shot at love, or will Gen’s pregnant, hormonal older sister, her bridezilla twin, and all of her past Mr. Wrongs get in the way of their happily- ever-after?

A good appetizer to commence a series. Niecey Roy whips up all the known romance tricks up her sleeves to make for delightful reading.

So Imogen Mae Gorecki is in her early twenties, done with love after her sorry trust-fund SOB ex cheated on her with a slut in possession of a boob-size fit for skanks. Gen's been solo for months now, her sister's wedding is coming up, and the family is worried she's going to go back to her ex since, it turns out, he will be best man to her sister's groom. Now the whole family is bent on getting her a boyfriend or at least a suitable date to the wedding in order to prevent her ex from running back into her life with the world's most convincing love speech. A sweet talker, he is.

Anyway, Imogen is set on a string of pathetic dates by her pregnant hormonal sister, Catherine. Pathetic date after pathetic date till she meets him. Richard. Then the date even gets more hideous with the mummy's video game addict dumping her and bolting without taking care of the cheque. Her life couldn't get anymore miserable... until she face plants herself in his crotch.

I mean, HIM. Matt... and the rest they say, is their story.

But not with Richard, video-game addict rolling back with his geeky self and recommendations of alien movies (Imogen seems to be obsessed with) and Brent suddenly realizing he's let The Good One (with streaks of pink in her hair) Get Away.

How exactly does Happily Ever After come this way? And most importantly, with whom?

I've read dozens of books with this story-line. So did this stand out for me? Hell it did! Niecey Roy is the queen of kooky characters, you know. And unique plot twists. At some moments in time, I thought this would end up a certain way. But no, this book really put my predictive skills to test. And I flunked big time! (So glad I abandoned my dream to go into meteorology).

I give a star to the romance in this title. There are points I "Aww"ed (which almost made me gag, 'cause I'm a guy. I don't "aww",I don't coo, I don't make sounds!—Humph, Niecey has that effect on us). I loved those moments, you know. The love speeches, the gestures, the coordinated lovemaking. It's no surprise since Niecey is Queen of Romance.

I love the whole concept of this, What's Love??? series. It's kinda nice when one character decides to put away love, the whole "Going Dutch" casual thing, but that's exactly when they find themselves deeply entangled. Don't mistake this for another "Love Triumphs All" garbage, it's more of a "Don't give up on love because it won't give up on you" delight. Lessons we could all nod to.

Another star would be given to the end to this title. Like a good romance with a chick-litty appeal, there's a huge satisfying smile and a tight hugging of your kindle (or paperback, depending on what you'd go in for). The fact that I didn't find this whole book predictable really put me on the edge of my seat to check out how the end or who the end was going to be like or with.

I did like this book. But did it break Niecey's fantastic debut? No. I couldn't help comparing this title to Fender Bender Blues with all its (FBB, I mean) highly entertaining characters and laugh out loud situations. I think the problem would have been sorted if the humor was tightened a bit.

My rating:

Four stars.

Another Shot At Love, first installment in the What's Love??? series is available on Amazon.

I recommend this book to anyone who wants something love-related. Anybody in for a little New Adult chick-lit delight and anyone wanting something less predictable.

My work not done here. Off to post my review on Goodreads as well as Amazon.

1 comment:

  1. I've just downloaded iStripper, so I can have the sexiest virtual strippers on my desktop.

    ReplyDelete